Completion of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, preferably in a related area.
Four (4) years of experience in a law office, legal environment, courts, or related field. Prior experience using e-Courts and JEDS is a plus.
Appointees will be required to possess a driver's license valid in New Jersey only if the operation of a vehicle, rather than employee mobility, is necessary to perform the essential duties of the position.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of the laws, rules, regulations, policies, and procedures relating to the commitment of institutionalized persons.
- Knowledge of locating, reviewing, and abstracting case and law references.
- Knowledge of preparing outlines of cases and suitable arguments for cases which are to be presented in court.
- Knowledge of conferring with members of the bar, trust officers, representatives of estates, and other persons interested in or concerned persons committed to institutions.
- Knowledge of the preparation of detailed correspondence.
- Knowledge of the preparation of clear, sound, accurate, and informative reports containing findings, conclusions, and recommendations.
- Ability to keep needed records and files.
- Ability to analyze and interpret the laws, rules, regulations, policies, and procedures relating to the committing of persons to county, state, and private hospitals, and other institutions.
- Ability to determine the legal residence of the patient and the ability of relatives of the patient to pay for support.
- Ability to present cases to the court.
- Ability to represent the county at hearings.
- Ability to locate and review abstract law references.
- Ability to work harmoniously with associates and that part of the public concerned with persons in institutions.
- Ability to prepare outlines of cases and suitable arguments for cases which are to be presented in court.
- Ability to prepare detailed correspondence.
- Ability to prepare clear, sound, accurate, and informative reports containing findings, conclusions, and recommendations.
- Ability to establish and maintain needed records and files.
- Ability to learn to utilize various types of electronic and/or manual recording and information systems used by the agency, office, or related units.
Ability to read, write, speak, understand, or communicate in English sufficiently to perform the duties of this position. American Sign Language or Braille may also be considered as acceptable forms of communication.
Persons with mental or physical disabilities are eligible as long as they can perform essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation. If the accommodation cannot be made because it would cause the employer undue hardship, such persons may not be eligible.